There are several different honor bands performance opportunities each year, all administered by state, regional, or local music educator’s professional associations. All NPHS Band students are encouraged to audition for one of these groups for a couple of important reasons:
- This is a great way to build your high school resume – College admissions officers are looking for students who show commitment and your acceptance to an honor band demonstrates this in a big way.
- The process of preparing for the audition is a tremendous growth opportunity – You will be challenged by preparing difficult audition repertoire. Creating a recording of that audition (for All-State) gives you an chance to listen back and evaluate your playing. You’ll hear mistakes you didn’t notice before which will give you a chance to polish your performance even more!
- You will be part of a group that performs at a much higher level – It is exhilarating to be part of group where everybody shares your dedication to great music making, playing outstanding music, with a phenomenal conductor.
- If you’re serious about studying music in college, being part of honor bands is almost expected – Most respected college and university music programs look for this as a fundamental part of your resume when you apply. It demonstrates your commitment to working hard as an individual, it speaks towards your ability as a player, and it shows that you are looking for opportunities to be pushed. Those are all important qualities if you are going to succeed as a music major.
SCSBOA All-Southern Honor Band, Honor Orchestra, Honor Jazz
Information about the 2021 SCSBOA All-Southern Virtual Honor Ensembles can be found on their website: www.scsboa.org
California Band Director’s Association (CBDA)
All State Honor Band, Honor Orchestra, Honor Jazz
Audition info at: www.cbda.org
1. Turn in the 2021 CBDA All-State Student Audition Information Form to Mr. Crystal via email to start the process.
2. Once Mr. Crystal receives your information form, he will create your application and audition account.
3. Once your audition account is created, you will digitally sign your application and pay your audition fee directly to CBDA via credit card on their website.
4. Your completed audition recordings must be uploaded to the CBDA site no later than November 30th in order to give Mr. Crystal enough time to review your submission and approve it. If you do not upload and submit your audition files before this date, your application may not get processed.
Be sure to look at all of the important information about the process for applying and auditioning to ensure that your submission is not rejected.
Ventura County Honor Band
The Ventura County Honor Band has had to cancel this year’s honor band due to the current state health guidelines prevent large groups of students performing on wind instruments indoors.